We checked out the best smoothie posts for you and easy to do guidelines, hope you enjoy.
We have a super simple and healthy recipe that we’ve been wanting to share with you! As a passionate and insanely busy mother, I am known for fueling my body with processed junk. Like those days when we’d meet at Starbucks twice in one day … or drive through Taco Bell for dinner … again.
I was starved for time, low on energy, and just … overwhelmed.
Well, I discovered something that quickly changed our lives: green smoothies. This mixed drink of fresh fruits and dark green leafy vegetables gave us energy, a fast and healthy meal and transformed our body from the inside out.
It is not a joke. And our free Simple 7 is how we made this healthy habit stick for the last 2 1/2 years … and go strong. We now have over 500,000 people around the world hooked on the green smoothie lifestyle. Hope you join us!
5 green smoothie tips to get you started:
Before we share our most popular green smoothie recipe, let’s welcome you to the world of green smoothies with some important tips …
1. Follow the 60/40 formula.
When you’re making your first green smoothies, don’t throw things in the blender . It will most likely taste unpleasant if you take it out of the door. To save you some smoothies, take out those cute measuring cups and follow this simple formula: 60% fruits and 40% leafy greens
2. Blend in stages to avoid pieces of leaves.
Chewing your green smoothie is no fun! For a “smooth” green smoothie experience, first mix together the leafy greens and the liquid foundation. Then add the remaining fruits and mix again.
3. Get rid of the ice and freeze some fruits.
Do you want your green smoothie to be colder? Freeze your favorite fruits like ripe bananas (peel first), grapes, pineapple, or berries. This is also a great way not to waste ripe fruit (like those brown bananas on your counter). You can also freeze your leafy greens in a freezer-safe bag. Just be sure to add your frozen veggies straight to the blender (don’t thaw these fragile little guys).
4. Use raw natural sweeteners.
Add naturally sweet fruits to any smoothie that tastes bitter or a little too “green.” By opting for naturally sweet fruits like bananas, mangoes, apples, pears, or pitted dates, we avoid artificial sweeteners and processed sugars.
5. Make smoothies ahead of time for the perfect fast food.
We know that life can get crazy, especially in the morning. This is why we believe green smoothies are the healthiest fast food for people who are constantly on the go.
You can blend your green smoothie the night before and store it in your refrigerator (up to 2 days). Use an airtight lid to limit oxidation and keep it as cool as possible. When you’re ready to drink, shake it well before opening.
If you follow these five green smoothie tips, we promise your green smoothies will be delighted with the first sip! Now here’s a favorite recipe we make for friends and family who have never tried a green smoothie before …
Lucky green smoothie for beginners
COURSE: Breakfast, Desserts, Smoothies and Drinks, Snacks and Appetizers
KEYWORD: easy shake, healthy eating, vibrant tropical shake
DIET RESTRICTION: Dairy FREE , Egg Free, Gluten Free, Peanut / Tree Nut Free, Vegetarian
CATEGORY: COMPATIBLE WITH freezer
ACTIVE TIME: 5 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 5 minutes
PORTIONS (Adjust to taste) : glasses
This tropical delight has the perfect ratio of fruits to vegetables, making it a great green smoothie for beginners. Spinach has a mild flavor and contains more than 20 different high-quality nutrients, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and amino acids. It’s something amazing! Oh, and this recipe is kid-tested and approved too 🙂
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup mango
- 1 cup pineapple
- 2 bananas, Use at least one frozen fruit to chill your smoothie. We often use frozen mangos and bananas our green smoothies.
- Tightly pack 2 cups of leafy greens in a measuring cup and then toss into blender.
- Add water and blend together until all leafy chunks are gone.
- Add mango, pineapple and bananas and blend again until smooth.
- Pour into a mason jar (or cute cup of your choice).
- Gulp or sip like a rawkstar!
PSSST! Got an allergy to mango or pineapple, or not a big fan of bananas? You can substitute any fruit with another fruit with a one-to-one ratio.
If you made this recipe or have one of your favorites, we’d love to hear it in the comments below (we’ll read all of them).
Still a fan of green smoothies?
If you want more recipes and tips on green smoothies, you should join Simple 7 ! For seven days in a row, you will mix a daily green smoothie + adopt a healthy habit that will transform your life. #kaleyeah Whether you have a passion for raising an amazing family, traveling the world, reading new books, creating the latest fashion trend, starting a new job or something totally different … we want to make sure you can go after that like the best. possible. You need a LOT of energy and nutrients to fuel your passions.
- 1 BEST GREEN SHAKES RECIPE
- 1.1 HOW TO MAKE MEALS GREEN SHAKES
- 1.2 3) PREPARATION SUPPLEMENTS
- 1.3 HOW TO MAKE A GREEN SHAKE!
- 1.4 ENJOY !
- 1.5 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT GREEN SMOOTHIES!
- 1.6 The best green smoothie recipe
- 1.7 MORE GREEN SHAKE RECIPES
- 2 The best green smoothie recipes
- 2.1 Why make a green smoothie?
- 2.2 How to make a green smoothie
- 2.3 professional advice
- 2.4 Kitchen accessories for smoothies
- 2.5 What vegetables to put in a smoothie?
- 2.6 Can you use frozen vegetables for a green smoothie?
- 2.7 Is it okay to drink a green smoothie every day?
- 2.8 What does a green smoothie do to your body?
- 2.9 Does the green smoothie make you poop?
- 2.10 Can you make a green smoothie ahead of time?
- 2.11 The 3 best vegetables for a green smoothie
- 2.12 Green smoothie add-ons
BEST GREEN SHAKES RECIPE
How to make the best green smoothie recipe! A simple green beginner smoothie that is healthy, tastes amazing, and made with 4 ingredients in under 5 minutes! Plus my tips on meal prep shakes!
I drink a green smoothie every day, and have been for almost a decade! So this post, explaining “how to make a green smoothie” with all my tips and tricks, has been something I wanted to write about since I started this blog! This is a long, full post and video, so settle in as we get started!
I’ll start by sharing how to make food shakes! I am always ready to make a delicious green smoothie at any time. Because every minute of the morning before the kids wake up is precious! I don’t want to waste time measuring protein powder, cutting fruit, etc.
Next, I’ll share my favorite green smoothie recipe! It’s a simple beginner green smoothie that’s naturally sweetened with fruits (no added sugars) and loaded with veggies and protein!
HOW TO MAKE MEALS GREEN SHAKES
I think green smoothies are best when served fresh, straight out of the blender . So I make meal shakes with all the ingredients on hand and ready to go. This means that I always have my freezer full of frozen fruits and vegetables and I make all the supplements as protein powder.
1) FREEZE BANANAS
In my opinion, bananas are an essential ingredient in making the best green smoothies for both their natural sweetness and creamy texture. So be sure to buy designated freezer bananas for smoothies when you go shopping!
Let the bananas ripen and then cut them into halves or thirds. Quick freeze on a baking sheet, then transfer to an airtight freezer safe container for storage!
2) USE FROZEN FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
This green smoothie recipe calls for 1 cup of frozen fruit plus a frozen banana. Using frozen fruits and vegetables is key for thicker and creamier green smoothies. You will notice that I don’t use ice in any of my smoothie recipes , because it dilutes the flavor and gives the smoothies an icy texture, which I’m not a fan of.
I recommend stocking up on frozen fruit in the winter when products are not available. During the summer, shop for seasonal items on sale and instantly freeze them the same way as bananas.
FRUITS TO USE IN A GREEN SHAKE
Here are some fruit suggestions to use in this green smoothie recipe. In this post I used half mango and half pineapple, which is my favorite combination! Keep in mind that if you use darker fruits like blueberries, blackberries, cherries, etc., the color will change and you will likely make a brown smoothie that is delicious but not green in color.
GREENS TO USE IN A GREEN SHAKE
If you’re making this simple green smoothie recipe as a beginner, I highly recommend sticking with spinach as your green of choice. I buy several 2.5-pound bags of fresh spinach from Costco every time we go (usually every two months) and toss them right in the freezer when we get home from our trip. That way, I know that the spinach is fresh and that I am in storage for months to come. Here are some other suggestions:
- swiss chard
- romain lettuce
- beet greens
- carrot tops
- collard greens
MIX GREEN AND FREEZE IN CUBES
If you don’t have a lot of room in your freezer, you can take the fresh spinach (or other veggies of your choice) and mix it with a small amount of water until the mixture is smooth. Then freeze in ice cube trays and store frozen vegetable cubes in an airtight container in the freezer. I used to do this when we lived in a condo and didn’t have an extra freezer in the basement!
3) PREPARATION SUPPLEMENTS
Measuring add-ons for my green smoothies has been a game changer for me! I wake up early and take care of my baby, I exercise, I shower, I have breakfast and I have my coffee before my 5 children wake up. So I have the morning routine reduced to a science to have as much time alone as possible before 7:30 am!
So I measure out the shake ingredients in these little containers and make shakes for two weeks at a time. I even have a drawer just below my Vitamix blender where I keep the containers for easy access. All I have to do is open the lid and dump the ingredients – no measuring required!
BEST GREEN SMOOTHIE ACCESSORIES
I started adding add-ons to my green smoothie recipes when my third baby was born. A few scoops of nutritional enhancers gave me more energy throughout the day and made the green smoothies taste even better! So here are some of my suggestions!
- Protein Powder – This is my favorite plant-based whey-free protein powder in vanilla and chocolate .
- Collagen Powder – A Protein Booster with a Neutral Taste! It’s good for gut health too!
- Maca – to increase fertility and hormonal balance.
- Chia seeds : added protein without powder.
- Ground flaxseed : a dose of Omega 3!
- Bee pollen : increases immunity.
- Acai Berry Powder – Antioxidants!
- Raw cacao nibs – a healthy way to add some chocolate!
- Nuts or seeds
- Coconut Oil – Increases Metabolism, Keeps You Full For Longer!
- Cinnamon : anti-inflammatory and delicious!
- Amazing Grass Green Superfood – A great way to add even more veggies!
HOW TO MAKE A GREEN SHAKE!
Okay, now that we’ve talked about all the delicious ingredients it takes to make a green smoothie, let’s dive into how to make a green smoothie recipe!
If you’ve been on my blog for a while, then you know that I mix exclusively with a Vitamix (and have for a decade)! So it’s no surprise that I tell you that the best way to achieve silky smooth green smoothies is to use a Vitamix blender.
I bought my first Vitamix because I was sick of chewing my green smoothies (can anyone else identify)? I wanted a blender that would pulverize anything and everything I put in my shakes and the Vitamix was the answer. If you don’t already have a Vitamix, I recommend that you get one as soon as possible.
STEP 2: ADD LIQUID INGREDIENTS
When making a green smoothie, it is important to always add the liquid ingredients to the smoothie container first. This ensures that the other ingredients don’t get stuck under the blades! It also creates a vortex that pushes everything towards the blades for a smooth mix!
THE BEST LIQUIDS TO USE IN A GREEN SHAKE RECIPE
I always use some type of non-dairy milk in my green smoothies because I think it gives them the best flavor and texture. However, there are many different liquids that can be used:
- Almond milk (my personal favorite)
- Coconut milk
- Any percentage of cow’s milk
- Rice milk
- Oat milk
- Cashew milk
- Coconut water
- Water (not recommended, but can be used)
STEP 3: ADD THE FROZEN GREEN
Then add the frozen veggies of your choice on top of the liquid.
STEP 4: ADD FROZEN FRUIT AND COMPLEMENTS
Putting the frozen fruit on top of the vegetables helps push all the leaves into the leaves and prevents them from sticking to the sides.
STEP 5: MIX!
Now is the time to mix up our green smoothie! Start blending at low speed and gradually increase to high. Blend on high speed for 50-60 seconds or until green smoothie is smooth.
Pour the green smoothie into one to four cups and enjoy! In my opinion, this recipe makes two good-sized servings for adults or 4 servings for kids!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT GREEN SMOOTHIES!
To be as helpful as possible, I want to take a minute and answer some frequently asked questions about how to make this green smoothie recipe for beginners.
IS A GREEN SHAKE GOOD FOR YOU?
Yes, yes and yes! This green smoothie recipe is packed with protein, a good dose of fiber, and is packed with nutrients! Makes a great healthy and filling breakfast or snack!
CAN YOU TELL THE SPINACH IN SHAKES?
Do not! If you make this green smoothie recipe as written, you wo n’t be able to taste the spinach at all!
IS SPINACH OR KALE BETTER FOR SHAKES?
Spinach and kale are great options for green smoothies, however I prefer spinach, kale has a stronger flavor than spinach and my vegetarian cops can detect it. 🙂
HOW DO I SWEET MY GREEN SHAKE?
You don’t need any sweetener to make this easy green smoothie recipe! The fruit imparts all the sweetness needed for even the smallest members of my family to enjoy!
The best green smoothie recipe
How to make the best green smoothie recipe! A simple green beginner smoothie that is healthy, tastes amazing, and made with 4 ingredients in under 5 minutes! Plus my tips on meal prep shakes!
PREPARATION TIME 2 minutes
TOTAL TIME 5 minutes
COURSE drink, Breakfast, Drinks, Snack
SERVINGS 2 servings
CALORIES 202.9 kcal
Usual common metric
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups frozen spinach *
- 1 medium frozen banana
- 1 cup of fruit of your choice **
- Optional add-ons: protein powder , bee pollen, collagen, etc.
- Place the ingredients in the bowl of a Vitamix blender in the order listed.
- Start blending at low speed and increase to high.
- Blend on high speed for 50-60 seconds until mixture is smooth.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy!
Best Green Smoothie Recipe
- * If you are a beginner when it comes to green smoothies, I suggest you use all the spinach for the best flavor and texture. You can also use kale, lettuce, etc.
- 2 cups of spinach is equal to 85g or 3oz of fresh spinach.
- ** My favorite fruit combination is ½ cup frozen mango and ½ cup frozen pineapple, but feel free to use your favorite fruits! Suggestions; apples, grapes, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, oranges, etc.
- Nutritional information is calculated using spinach, 1/2 cup pineapple, 1/2 cup of mango and 1 tablespoon of vanilla Orgain protein powder.
Servings: 0.5 recipe Calories: 202.9 kcal Carbohydrates: 34.5 g Protein: 13.1 g Fat: 4.2 g Saturated fat: 0.1 g Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5 g Monounsaturated fat: 1.2 g Sodium: 208.2 mg Potassium: 542 mg Fiber: 6.5 g Sugar: 17.3 g Vitamin A: 3560 IU Vitamin C: 42.9 mg Calcium: 378 mg Iron: 3.5 mg
KEYWORD green smoothie, green smoothie recipe, green smoothie recipes for beginners, how to make a green smoothie, simple green smoothie recipes
Did you try this recipe? Tell us how it went!
MORE GREEN SHAKE RECIPES
Here are some of my favorite healthy green smoothie recipes!
- I drink this Green Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie every day!
- This citrus green smoothie is great for winter!
- Do you have extra zucchini? Make this creamy zucchini smoothie !
- It can add spinach I to this smoothie strawberry and banana , smoothie pineapple , shake mixed berries and this recipe mango smoothie for them green!
- Add spinach to this pumpkin smoothie that tastes like liquid pumpkin pie, but is so much healthier!
The best green smoothie recipes
We love green smoothie recipes because you can drink your breakfast smoothie and get a serving of veggies at the same time!
Don’t be intimidated by the color, I promise you there are plenty of green smoothie recipes that hide the bitter taste of energetic greens, but give you all the benefits at the same time.
Why make a green smoothie?
Oh the burning question, are green smoothies really that good for you? If you do them right, they are! Green smoothie recipes can be great for getting a LOT of nutrition in one go.
In most green smoothies, the green color comes from the vegetables you use, like kale and spinach. Vegetables can be boring to eat, but when you put them in a smoothie. It is easy and windy. The greens are:
- High fiber content
- Packed with protein
- Packed with vitamins and minerals.
How to make a green smoothie
Let’s take a look at exactly what you need to make the perfect green smoothie! At Fit Foodie Kitchen, we use a basic recipe that we deviate from based on what’s in the fridge and what our bodies crave.
So … what’s in a green smoothie?
Frozen Fruit – We like to use frozen fruit to omit the ice from our green smoothies so you can get a smoother, creamier smoothie. We recommend banana, berries, mangoes, pineapple, etc. For a single serving, use about 1 cup of frozen fruit.
Greens – Obviously, all green smoothies have some kind of green! Whether it’s spinach, kale, or micro-greens, any type of green will work. Here are our favorites:
- baby kale
- beet greens
Instead of throwing out veggies that are about to go bad, freeze them and use them later in a green smoothie! Try to pack as many veggies as you can … no less than 1 cup!
Milk / Liquid: You will need some kind of liquid for your green smoothie and our favorite is almond milk. While you can use any type, we found that unsweetened almond milk isn’t super overwhelming and makes a great base milk for just about any smoothie. Use between 1/2 cup and 1 cup for a single serving.
Other liquid options include: orange juice, water, coffee, coconut milk, oat milk, cranberry juice, and apple juice.
Seeds, because why not amp up your green smoothie with more nutrition? We try to get about 1/2 tablespoon of ground seeds like flax or chia per shake.
Kitchen accessories for smoothies
The only thing that has made the difference time and time again to really pulverize your veggies so you CAN’T taste them is a high speed blender .
Here are some of our favorite kitchen accessories (and protein powder!) Not only to help you make your smoothie, but to drink it too!
What vegetables to put in a smoothie?
The most popular vegetables for a green smoothie are kale or spinach.
Can you use frozen vegetables for a green smoothie?
Both fresh and frozen veggies work for a green smoothie!
Is it okay to drink a green smoothie every day?
It’s 100% okay to drink a green smoothie recipe every day.
What does a green smoothie do to your body?
Green smoothies add fiber, protein, and tons of vitamins and minerals that help detoxify your body.
Does the green smoothie make you poop?
Green smoothies are usually made with kale or spinach, which are rich in fiber and help your digestive system. So yeah, green smoothies help you poop!
Can you make a green smoothie ahead of time?
You can easily make any smoothie ahead of time. Store your smoothie in the refrigerator and drink for the next 1-2 days.
You can even pop it back into the blender and add a handful of ice to make it more like a smoothie the next day.
Favorite Green Smoothie Recipe
Looking for a delicious green smoothie recipe? Take a look at our favorite green smoothie base recipe and then deviate from it with your favorite add-ons to get your very own green smoothie.
Preparation: 5 minutes Cooking: 0 minutes Total: 5 minutes
FAT 3 CARBOHYDRATES 30 PROTEIN 3
- 1 cup frozen fruit (banana, mixed berries, tropical mix)
- 1 cup fresh greens (spinach, kale, or arugula)
- 1/2 – 1 cup milk (almond, soy, coconut, cow, etc.)
- 1/2 tablespoon of ground seeds (flax, chia, etc.)
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender .
- Blend over high heat until smooth. We recommend starting with 1/2 cup of milk and working your way up from there depending on how thick you like your shakes.
- Serve immediately.
TIPS AND NOTES
- Our favorite frozen fruit to use in green smoothies is the banana because it is sweeter than the average fruit and adds a delicious flavor.
Serving Size: 1 Calories: 146 Sugar: 14 Fat: 3 Carbs: 30 Fiber: 5 Protein: 3
The 3 best vegetables for a green smoothie
I was totally that girl who was intimidated into drinking green smoothies because of the color. I mean, drinking something green is kind of scary 😛
Thought I’d chat about the top 3 types of veggies that you can add to your green smoothie … especially for those starting out in front of expert green smoothie drinkers!
Newbie to Green Smoothies – I would definitely suggest starting with fresh or frozen spinach as your green option! Spinach has a very mild flavor compared to many other veggies and if you do it right, you won’t even be able to taste it!
Green Smoothie Princess: Not a beginner, but not an expert? Try kale! Fresh or frozen kale is a big step up from spinach, but not a hype. We suggest buying kale on the stem, not the prepackaged kind for best results.
Green Smoothie Queen: If you’re a green smoothie connoisseur, I suggest arugula be your next green pick! Arugula is spicy, flavorful, and packed with lots of antioxidants!
Green smoothie add-ons
We shared our basic green smoothie above, but don’t let that detract you from adding other amazing ingredients to your smoothie!
There are so many other things you can add to your smoothie to give it a different flavor or to help you serve a different purpose for your health and wellness journey. Here are some green smoothie add-on suggestions:
- greek yogurt
- nut butter
- cold beer
- coconut oil
- protein powder
- Fresh herbs
I also wanted to point out that you can totally take your favorite smoothie recipe, just add a handful of veggies to that! It’s as easy as that.
Bowl vs Glass
And now, the real question … do you go for the bowl against the glass? Well, bowling has its benefits!
GREEN PLAIN BOWL
- You can use a spoon! Is anyone else obsessed with spooning smoothies or is it just me?
- Hedging on Hedging. Dressings are a great way to turn your green smoothie recipe into a more complete and filling meal! Add toppings like granola, fresh fruit, nuts, and seeds to complete your bowl.
CLASSIC GREEN SHAKE (IN GLASS)
- On-the-Go. Green smoothies in a glass are great to go. You can even find reusable smoothie cups to go these days to make your green breakfast smoothie a breeze.
- Straws: There is definitely a crazy amount of followers of people who love to eat and drink with a straw. Well then you are probably a classic green smoothie type of girl who loves to drink her smoothie out of a glass.
Hope you enjoyed this post.